Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 8:01 pm   Post subject: Just a note to Non-OpenSource mod makers.
AVM Founder

Quote:
What kind of community is it where one particular group has absolutely no respect for the rights of others and thinks nothing of ignoring/denying the rights/wishes of others? Such behaviour will ultimately lead to the death of Open Source software
Without goodwill there is neither good nor will - Daz (Forum Images)

I very much agree with this statement. Long live open source programs/modifications/and more!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 10:03 pm

I think it depends. If you give the source to some great game (like Half-Life) it makes cheats and hacks easier to make. Although, the problem is that making mods require the open source.

It's just one of those things. I think it depends on the software.

I wouldn't have a problem with open source for everything if people didn't make hacks for the games with it.

Also, I can see a big company like EA keeping source code secret because of some great new bit of code that they don't want competitors to get.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 10:26 pm
AVM Founder

Yes this is all true, but when this was said it was not meant for just games.

Think of phpBB (these forums)

How good could they be if they were not open source?

:) Lets just put it at that. PhpBB is free, open source, and very, highly supported.

It's kinda like Desert Combat in BF1942 :roll: They've got the best MOD out and they're free. I know that's not relating to source and stuff, but I'm just saying.

Also in terms of Tribes 2. It is true that people take code an aren't too great at saying that it's not theirs, but I think it's beacuse of the reason of non-open source in the first place. I mean, taking in phpBB for an example again! You don't see 400 people taking their source and claiming it their own! Though, I'm sure a remote few have, but they haven't gotten very far.... at all.

My 2 cents.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 11:20 pm

there are ways to hardcode your identity to your code, tho this really only works for ppl who are less experianced, but im sure htere is a way to hardcode your identity do your code that some advanced codes wont figure ouy..like possible an encription function( a function that gives you credit thru some means and is encripted, and another function decifers it then uses it)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 11:20 pm

Where are they?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 11:41 pm
AVM Founder

Well, basically you could make one file a DSO file with a function that stated something and had to return true or something. And have something in each file, or thing you made that would call it or use it somehow to show it's yours or w/e :P

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 2:45 am

I love open source modding. I think its great. The only down fall is cheating like LT said. Thats the only bad thing about open source modding.I have even thought about putting mymod in dso form due to that one fact. That people cheat.... Its sad really. Im still looking for good server side fixes to stop cheaters! If any one out there has found anyways to do so please contact me. Im tired of joining a server and not being able to play a fair game.Based on skill and wit anymore. It furstrates me to get killed by the guy who aims like a turret.Even client side fixes have failed to stop theese anoying scripts, add ons ect...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 11:39 am

The cheaters for Tribes 2 don't use open source mods, they use that Happymod2 crap.

Its games like half-life that release their code so people can go and modify their executable or however it works. In scripts for T2, you can only modify so many functions before the only ones left are only accesible by the host (mainly the engine ones like setTransform()).

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 6:52 pm

making a dso with your name in it for credit doesnt work very well, people can simply look in the dso, find the function that must return "true", go into all the scripts and wipe the parts that points to that function off the face of the earth and take the scripts and run away with a big broad smile. Stuff like construction mod with a loadscreen dso and basic protection is getting circumvented by a loadscreen that loads after the dso loads.

right now i'm makin a security system so that:
all the scripts are in .cs form
every time server loads all the crc of the files is checked against a dso database after some number manipulation algorithms.
everything will be in .cs form is scrambled, lines mixed around by a crc fed algorithm. and is descrambled on server load, so if the crc changes the files would be descrambled incorrectly.
once they are descrambled they are fed into 1 large temporary file that is executed and then deleted.
the crc of the dso file that comes out is recorded and the entire process is repeated if the crc of the dso changes or the dso is destroyed.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 8:35 pm
AVM Founder

Can Tribes 2 handle this though?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 10:47 pm

moving around lines, yes, i tried it with various combinations with a input value for decoding and encoding, takes a few seconds, but if you try moving around individual characters, it takes a tad bit longer... a few minutes...

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:29 pm

Linker wrote:
making a dso with your name in it for credit doesnt work very well, people can simply look in the dso, find the function that must return "true", go into all the scripts and wipe the parts that points to that function off the face of the earth and take the scripts and run away with a big broad smile. Stuff like construction mod with a loadscreen dso and basic protection is getting circumvented by a loadscreen that loads after the dso loads.

right now i'm makin a security system so that:
all the scripts are in .cs form
every time server loads all the crc of the files is checked against a dso database after some number manipulation algorithms.
everything will be in .cs form is scrambled, lines mixed around by a crc fed algorithm. and is descrambled on server load, so if the crc changes the files would be descrambled incorrectly.
once they are descrambled they are fed into 1 large temporary file that is executed and then deleted.
the crc of the dso file that comes out is recorded and the entire process is repeated if the crc of the dso changes or the dso is destroyed.

Was searching for sometihng, found this topic, thought I would bring it to your attention. Was wondering if this will ever happen? :D

Profile WWW