Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:58 pm   Post subject: G'day From Australia!

Hey guys, I am trying to break into Software/Game Design so I though I'd try and get some experience by joining a couple of forums and learning off them for a while before I get old enough to get of to Uni or whatever.

I have pretty basic skills, I can HTML, Java Script, Action Script 1.0 2.0 they are my main skills that I have at the moment but I am wanting to learn C++/C and more Python.

I am only just starting to get into modding, but I am still a little lost as where to start. I was thinking maybe start off modding using an old game engine like the Quake engine which I am trying to mod at the moment. I do have a few game ideas that seem pretty original, but I just don't know how to put them in action, I need to know some good free software for mapping, textures and modeling using the Quake engine.

(If you wish to know more about my game ideas just PM me and ill send you over a out view of my ideas)

Also, if there is anyone out there that could give me guidance though out my modding that would be great.

Thanks All.

~ Slipknoted

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:53 pm
AVM Founder

Hey, that's pretty cool. Wish I could help ya out or point you in the right direction, but I know nothing when it comes to the Quake series unfortunately.

I'm sure there's someone here who may be able to help out though.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:44 am

Milkshape may be able to help with the modeling. Even though it's advertised for Half-Life, HL was based on the Quake Engine, so it shouldn't really be a stretch to get Milkshape to give you a model that will run in Quake. As for modding...if you want to start simple, Tribes2 seems like a good place to start (in my experience). It's high level and you can mess with things without utterly destroying the game. I haven't had much modding experience outside of Tribes2, but I have messed with Half-Life 2 a little, and they give a Visual Studio solution with their SDK if you want to use that.

Edit: It doesn't help that Tribes2 is sort of twitching in a coma so modding may actually be a bit hard for it simply because of the fact a full version may be hard to come by :/

Well, time for bed for me! Just got back from work and it's 12:42AM xD

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:53 pm

Full version of T2 is pretty easy to come by. Online account keys are not, though that may be rectified fairly soon.

The nice thing about Quake is that the source code for all of the Quake games up to Quake 3 is open under the GPL. You can get them all from id's website: http://www.idsoftware.com/business/techdownloads/

All of the Quake engines are written in C, so you would need to learn that language. In general, modifying games requires some sort of programming background, so I would start learning there.

If you want more immediate gratification, then T2 might be of interest. The gameplay mechanics in that game are mostly defined by high level scripts. The language resembles functional PHP elements, with duck-typed object orientation. There are bugs in the script interpreter that I've hit, but it is still possible to create really complicated scripts. Plus, a version of T2 has been recently hacked together that supports execution of code written in Lua and Ruby -- and interaction between the 3 different languages.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:30 am

Thyth wrote:
Full version of T2 is pretty easy to come by. Online account keys are not, though that may be rectified fairly soon.

Figures :roll:
I should have known it was still floating around. It is the internet after all. I also forgot you don't need a key to do a LAN game. Which, by the way, I may have lost mine :x
For some reason, my dad set up the account all those years ago when I bought it, and it was his password, so I never remember it.
Still have the game though.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:40 am

Here is a copy of the game mirrored on The-Construct: http://xfer1.the-construct.net/tribes2/tribes2_gsi.exe

If you still have your CD-key, you might be able to get your account reset. I don't know whom you have to email to get that done, but it could be possible.

I need hosting for a new online community system before I can make the new keys happen.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:32 pm
AVM Founder

Lemme know if you're looking for something.

Profile WWW